Monday, July 27, 2009

The Game, R.E.D.


For all the G-Unot rants then extractions, and going back at them and then asking for forgiveness, for all the “Fuck Jay-Z” tantrums and crying talkin’ about, “That’s why I don’t wanna be a part of hip-hop no more (*tear*),” and the butterfly tat followed by an LA tat which was followed by a big red star, to the fauxhawks and just overall suspect behavior, I still fucks with Game. I was a fan way before he signed to G-Unit and I still am to this day. The man can spit and make pretty decent songs when he’s on his A game. Sure 70 percent of his rhymes includes famous names, references to a famous someone’s name or naming California itself, but ultimately Game has a knack for making good songs and dope freestyles (“I’m So Wavy” was basura, though).

This mixtape is a collection of leaked Game tracks, freestyles and songs that you probably never heard before if you aren’t on top of these mixtapes or internet downloads. From the Bishop Lamont diss, “Blood Respect” where Game used Auto-Tune to spazz on Dr. Dre’s protégé to “Mafia Music” Remix where he was the only rapper who didn’t throw a shot at Pimpin’ Curly (Ja Rule, you DUMB late with that verse; Joe, why? And Rick, not bad, but it’s useless already).

The collabos continued on “Flashback Memories” where he and the god, Raekwon spoke on their lives before superstardom with Game reminiscing, “Rewind time, 10 years before I had the Lex/mailman scared to drop the bills on my doorstep/little nigga street dreaming about a fast car/my father had dope tracks like his arm was Nascar/in ’87, shit, I was maybe 7/watching my big brother throwing 10 and come back with 11/only knew what it was cause I overheard/my pops on the phone talking ‘bout selling all my birds/I cried the next 8 years over them pigeons/only to find out not one of them was missing.”

This mixtape is riddled with joints that show and prove that Game can still be a problem and if he gets his second wind, he just might be again. He can still rhyme, flow and create as good as ever. Though his tribute to Michael Jackson, “Better On The Other Side,” was a bit odd, his verse was still pretty damn decent. And “Bang Along” was a cool ass Saturday morning type song that you can throw on and just get you’re weekend continued with a good vibe. On the other hand the Snoop featured, “On The Block” could better serve as a Saturday night special. Regardless to his bipolar tendencies and erratic behavior, Game is still recognized as an MC and is still a prominent figure whenever LA hip-hop comes to mind. Whether it’s cause you love him or hate him, his name still holds weight. But will he self-destruct before he can get it back together? From the looks of this mixtape cover, I’ll give him a 50/50 chance.—The Infamous O

Hottest Joint: “Bang Along”

Weakest Joint: “Put It In The Air”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Links of London USA